Monday, November 10, 2008

Shortbuspallooza

The Shortbus. Our classic beer blend. How about a Shortbus party?!

Earlier this year, I found out - through well-informed channels - that our local purveyor of fine beers (Sam's Blue Light) had a couple of sixth-barrel kegs of Old Rasputin in the cooler. I was further informed that the kegs were going on 2 years old, and that they were available for a rather modest sum for purchase ($75). Without hesitation I paid a visit to Sam's and aquired one of said kegs.

So, as Halloween rolled around, I procured a pony keg of Foothill's finest Seeing Double IPA at the same establishment and hauled it home, just in time for our annual Halloween Party. I proceeded to cut open a steel barrel and carefully placed the two keg inside, filling the rest of this improvised "kegorator" with ice. I will always cherish the memory of that first pint of "Shortbus on Tap" ... and the second ... and the third ... and then my memory does get a bit blurry ...

The party was fun, and the beer drinkers present made a valiant effort. But 10 gallons (40 liters) of +9% ABV beer - that's a lot! But fear not! I filled some growlers and then my friend Bruce came to the rescue - with a keg and a CO2 bottle (he is an avid and very talented homebrewer). We filled the remaining 2-3 Gallons of Old Rasputin in his keg, and bottled the remaining Seeing Double in three 2-liter soda bottles and charged them with CO2. That'll keep the beer in good shape for a while, as we enjoy the occasional shortbus on tap at home.

No comments: