Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Indulgence Blend

The Indulgence Blend
This is a blend that rivals the "Sex on the Shortbus" - in flavor as well as in challenge. Today, after a huge, delicious Thanksgiving meal (I loooove that brined turkey!!) I decided that a proper digestiv was in order. Last year I had squirreled away some bottles of Bell's Expedition Stout, and then last spring I got some bottles of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA. So I went down to my beer cooler and got a bottle of each of these delicious, slightly aged beers. I tasted each separately, then I blended them. They separated nicely, with the stout, again, dropping to bottom.

These two intense beers blend to a complex synergy of huge, mocha-caramel maltyness and in-yer-face bitter hoppyness, tied together by their sweet undercurrents (in the case of the "IPA" the sweetness is still almost a rip tide) and "tight" alcoholic nose. And. A. Long. Looooong. F.i.n.i.s.h.

After a year, the stout is settling down (I had some of this year's batch earlier this week) but the 120 Min IPA is still impatient and fresh after 6 months. I'll have another one a year from now :)

Maybe I should call this the "Patience Blend" ...

No comments: